The CDC has made an alarming discovery that 84 scientists could have been exposed to the deadly Anthrax bacteria. The possibility of an exposure was made by the CDC on June 13. However the exposure could have happened as early as June 6th if the spores were aerosolized.
According to a report by Reuters, 84 employees of US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from the Atlanta campus could be exposed to Anthrax. The exposure could have been precipitated by a laxity in following the rules set for biosafety in a lab which was preparing Anthrax samples for research.
The slip happened inadvertently when CDC workers, believing the samples of Bacillus anthracis were inactivated, did not wear any protective covering while handling these materials. The samples of Anthrax pathogens were prepared and moved by CDC experimentation in three CDC campus laboratories. Worse the samples used in one or two of the labs could have aerosolized the spores.
As per the information provided by CDC, Anthrax is a very serious disease and could affect common domestic as well as wild animals around the world. The pathogen which caused Anthrax is a Bacterium named Bacillus anthracis which is a gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium. It is rare for humans to contract Anthrax which happens when they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products. With early medical care, all types of anthrax can be prevented and treated with modern antibiotics.