A study conducted by Pew on the future of online privacy suggests that the problem might be solved completely in 11 years from now. Though they admitted to have got some confusing results, they had signs to suggest that the things might start shaping and taking a turn for the better in a decade from now. The survey was carried out on 2,511 respondents.

The Pew Research Center carried out a survey among experts on “whether the technology industry and politicians will be able to develop an infrastructure for privacy rights that fosters security and is widely accepted and trusted by 2025. The infrastructure should still allow for innovations in business and monetization while at the same time offering users with options on safeguarding their personal data.”

As the boundaries between privacy and public information blur, policymakers and technology innovators will struggle to respond, Pew said in the report on the future of privacy released on Thursday.

55% of those questioned did not believe that such an infrastructure can be established within a decade and the remaining 45 percent believing that it is possible. But their conflicting opinions on the future of online privacy were set aside as they all seemed to agree on the fact that online life is “by nature a public one.”

While responding to the researchers Bob Briscoe, one of the top experts in the field and is working as chief researcher in networking and infrastructure for British Telecom, said, “Lack of concern about privacy stems from complacency because most people’s life experiences teach them that revealing their private information allows commercial (and public) organisations to make their lives easier (by targeting their needs), whereas the detrimental cases tend to be very serious but relatively rare”.

John Wilbanks, Sage Bionetworks chief commons officer, thinks that 10 years is too short for lawmakers to adjust how they create regulations to be able to catch up to the high rate that technology is progressing.

We are living in an internet ruled world. Coming online might be a matter of choice for some while for others, it is a way of life. Though, as said by one of the respondents, ten years is not too long a period for the lawmakers to adjust and create regulations which will be help them catch up with the rapidly progressing technology, the study has helped draw attention to the fact that this is one area they need to pay careful attention to.

One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

I accept the Privacy Policy

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.